Friday, October 25, 2013

We Don't Smuggle Guns Yet


I was a crime victim when "Love What Is" became a best-seller on the self-help shelf. With that book as their banner, therapists (hi, Kassy Daggett) ganged up to silence me when I stood up for my rights as a rape survivor. Really! The assailant himself had even said, "It's all good."

It's not.

All the mushy people I know who ignore crimes against wildlife are swaddled in a blanket of "Love What Is."

I am nature, and nature is me. Her fragrance, feel and beauty are my senses. Beyond multitudes of babies in beds, I am the ocean and sky. I am a mountain with forests at my fingertips.

"Every four days, a ranger is killed in the line of duty," the World Wildlife Fund says. So I posted on Facebook that "Exotic Eco-Guards need more GUNS! And also more love."

My former brother-in-law responded, "Guns are the objects of power, the tools of exploitation and extortion and threats. I can't think of a single person who can handle their effect on the psyche."

I said, " They have a psychological effect that's beneficial if poachers are trying to kill you."

He was in the army but said, "They'll kill you BECAUSE you have a gun. Better to run than to use a gun against an experienced gunman."

Of course I had to get sarcastic and counter: "Fluffy unicorns may come between the poachers and the unarmed wildlife rangers... and the elephants (60% dead since 2002)... and rhinos (700 killed this year). Better to BE an experienced gunMAN, and protect wildlife from the righteous apathy of city-dwelllers."

Crime is stopped by people like me. And you?

VC Bestor
Twitter
Facebook

Fanged Wilds and Women Program is a 501c3 Tax-Exempt Organization

No comments:

Post a Comment